Behavioral Health Clinic
The BHC offers individual therapy services for a range of issues relating to anxiety, depression, and stress, including:
- Panic Attacks
- Worry or Generalized Anxiety
- Social Anxiety
- Specific Phobias
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Sleep & Insomnia
BHC clinicians use therapy approaches supported by decades of research including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Exposure Therapy, and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) tailored to your values and goals.
Therapy at the BHC is:
You & your clinician will create a tailored treatment plan that is consistent with your values & is capable of achieving your goals.
Therapy at the BHC requires your active participation and you’ll be asked to practice the skills you’re learning in and outside of sessions.
You’ll work with your clinician to set goals & work towards them, ending therapy once you achieve your goals.
Our aim is to provide you with the tools & skills you’ll need to continue to thrive independently, outside of therapy.
Since the BHC is a training clinic staffed by clinicians at different points in their training, we take extra care to try to ensure that individuals work with clinicians who can meet their needs. Therefore, everyone seeking services at the BHC starts with a brief phone call and a consultation to determine whether clinicians at the BHC will be a good fit for meeting their needs.
If you are interested in seeking therapy services at the BHC, you can get started by completing an online form to provide us with an initial idea of what you are struggling with and your contact information.
|Get Started: Complete the BHC Interest form|
BHC staff follow-up with a brief (20-30 minutes) phone call to review clinic policies and see if the BHC might be capable of meeting your needs. If it seems the BHC may be a good fit, you'll be paired with a BHC clinician for a consultation.
If it seems the BHC may be a good fit after the information phone call, you will then be paired with a BHC clinician for a consultation.
- Initial Interview: During the initial consultation interview, you will meet with a clinician to review what brings you into therapy and you goals for therapy. Initial consultation interviews range in duration from 90-minutes to 2.5 hours depending on the clinician and their particular stage of training. When scheduling initial consultation interviews, clinicians will let you know exactly what to expect in regard to appointment durations.
- Questionnaires: As part of the consultation, you will also be asked to complete a series of self-report questionnaires assessing various psychological experiences which will help the clinician better understand aspects of what you are struggling with.
- Feedback: During the consultation feedback, the clinician will discuss their clinical impressions and provide treatment recommendations, as appropriate. They will also discuss whether the BHC is a good fit for meeting your needs. If the treatment recommendations align with what the BHC offers and has available, you will be offered the option to start therapy services at the BHC. If, for whatever reason, the BHC does not seem to be a good fit for meeting your needs, we will try our best to provide specific recommendation for other clinics or providers in the area who may be able to meet your needs.
Once paired with a clinician for therapy, you will work together to develop an individualized plan to meet you needs. Treatment is tailored to specific needs, rather than being “one size fits all.” While working with a clinician at the BHC, you will learn tools to help make changes to you life in line with your values. You will learn a variety of new skills to help make these changes. A few common components of therapy at the BHC include:
- value driven action and behavioral activation
- examining thoughts
- challenging unhelpful thinking and/or behaviors
- behavioral experiments
- exposure therapy (including prolonged exposure for PTSD and exposure and response prevention for OCD)
Individual therapy appointments are generally scheduled weekly, 50-minutes in length. Since the BHC takes a goal-oriented, time-limited approach, treatments are intended to be brief (typically between 12-18 sessions).
NOTE The BHC is a training clinic staffed by clinicians at different points in their training, we do our best to match individuals with clinicians best suited for meeting their needs. Often an individual is able to see the same clinician for therapy as they saw for consultation; however, this is not always possible and occasionally individuals will be matched with a different clinician for therapy services.
Appointments are generally scheduled between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday-Friday. Evening appointments are available on a very limited basis, Monday-Thursday. Appointments are conducted either in-person or remotely via telepsychology platforms depending on individual needs.
The BHC operates on an academic calendar, meaning that we are not open during holidays or weather-related university closures and we cannot guarantee continuity of care during academic breaks (e.g., spring, summer, winter breaks).
All appointments cost $25 per session. We do not bill to insurance and fees are collected at the time of service. We accept check, debit cards, and credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, & Discover) as forms of payment. We do not accept cash as a form of payment. We do not accept insurance.