Travel Policies and Resources - Authorization, Reimbursement, and more

Financial Services provides policy information regarding all travel services. 

Travel Authorization

Travel Authorization documents should be requested and approved as soon as travel is known, or before the purchase of airline tickets and hotel accommodations. 

All travel on behalf of The University of Arizona MUST be pre-authorized by submitting a Travel Authorization Form, even if expenses will not be paid by the University.

  • Domestic Travel: these requests and forms are due no later than 14 days before your scheduled departure.
  • International Travel: these requests and forms are due no later than 30 days before your scheduled departure.

You need to register your travel as soon as possible, as this provides time for the approving parties to provide:

  • Risk assessment of the travel plans
  • Safety recommendations for the trip
  • Additional approvals, when necessary. 

Please consult the following links for additional details, then proceed to the next section to submit your request:

To Begin the Travel Authorization Process:

Please send an email to Psychology Accounting with the information below:

  • Employee ID
  • Name of conference:
  • Conference dates:
  • Travel dates:
  • Mode of travel (air, car, etc.):
  • Indicate if you will be staying at the designated conference hotel:
  • Location of conference:
  • Are you presenting:
  • Account Number:
  • Business Purpose:

Once the request is approved by the Business Office, you will be provided with a copy of your approved Travel Authorization.

NOTE: If you do not have an approved Travel Authorization on file, you will not be reimbursed.

Updated 02/20/23

Travel Reimbursement

Within 30 days of your return from traveling, you will need to complete the Travel Expense Report. Bring this report along with your original itemized receipts to the Business Office, where they will review your materials before submitting them for reimbursement.

If receipts are turned in after 30 days, that reimbursement may be considered taxable income.


  • An Employee Reimbursement Request Form is not the same as a Travel Expense Report, and will not be accepted for Travel Reimbursement.
  • If you do not also have an approved Travel Authorization on file (from prior to your departure), you will not be reimbursed.

Things to include:

  • If one of the receipts is a hotel receipt, and the hotel is the designated conference hotel - please attach documentation that states this.
  • If you will be sharing lodging with someone else - please get separate receipts from the hotel and indicate who you shared lodging with.
  • Bring a copy of the conference brochure that shows:
    • Name of the conference,
    • Conference dates
    • Conference location
    • The page with your name and presentation.

Additional Resources:

For reimbursement rates, you can consult a manual AP uses for calculating travel expenses (such as, mileage, airport parking, lodging, meals and incidentals expenses).


Updated 03/06/23

Graduate Student Travel Stipends

1st-year graduate students will be provided a $300 stipend to attend conferences. Submission of a Travel Authorization is required (see previous drop-down section). 

Students in their 2nd year or beyond may also receive the stipend, but must be presenting in-person at the conference in order to obtain the funds. Submission of a Travel Authorization is required (see previous drop-down section). 

Updated: 04/27/23


Contact the Business Office,

Updated: 04/27/23