My research focuses on the
- Social contexts of health
- How interpersonal processes relate to psychological and physical wellbeing of both individuals and couples over time
- Utilizing advanced quantitative methods, including multilevel modeling and Bayesian statistics.
- Modeling autonomic physiological linkage (i.e., any form of statistical interdependence between the physiological signals of interacting partners) among romantic partners and strangers, with an emphasis on understanding mechanisms, context-dependency, and the non-linear dynamics of this phenomenon.
- Translating findings from relationship science to develop new interventions that promote mental, physical, and relational wellbeing among couples and families.
Boyd, S.M., Kuelz, A., Page-Gould, E., Butler, E.A. & Danyluck, C. (2022). An exploratory study of physiological linkage among strangers. Frontiers in Neuroergonomics. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnrgo.2021.751354
Boyd, S.M., Lee, L., & Sbarra, D.A. (2022). Multilevel modeling. In B. Frey (Ed.), The SAGE encyclopedia of research design (Vol. 1, pp. 959-963). SAGE Publications. https://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781071812082
Flores, M.A., O’Neill, R.M., Boyd, S.M., Uchino, B.N., Ruiz, J. M. (2022). Examining between group differences in social network density and hs-CRP in older adults: Implications for the Hispanic mortality paradox. Psychosomatic Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0000000000001157
Kuelz, A., Boyd, S.M., & Butler, E.A. (2022). Close TIES in relationships: A dynamic systems approach for modeling physiological linkage. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships. https://doi.org/10.1177/02654075221082594 Li, X., Kuelz, A., Boyd, S.M., August, K., Markey, C., & Butler, E. (2020). Exploring physiological linkage in same-sex male couples. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 3951. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.619255
Manvelian, A., Boyd, S.M., O’Hara, L. K., Watters, C., Liu, Y. & Sbarra, D. A. (2023). Promoting attachment security in emerging adults: A pilot study of emotionally focused mentoring. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships. https://doi.org/10.1177/02654075231195530
vanDellen, M.R., Boyd, S.M., Ranby, K. W., & Beam L.B. (2016). Successes and failures in resisting cigarettes affect partner support for smoking cessation. Psychology and Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2016.1255945
vanDellen, M.R., Boyd, S.M., Ranby, K. W., MacKillop, J., & Lipkus, I. M. (2015). Willingness to provide support for a quit attempt: A study of partners of smokers. Journal of Health Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105314567209
- PSY 364 - Human Sexuality (2023)
- PSYC 383 - Health Psychology (2021)
- PSY 483A - Developmental Psychology (2022)
- FSHD 117 - Lifespan Development
- FSHD 496Z - Social Justice and Healthcare
- FSHD 537L - Introductory Graduate Statistics Laboratory
*Year listed indicates when this individual last taught the specified course.
- B.S. Psychology, University of Georgia (2014)
- M.S. Family Studies and Human Development, University of Arizona (2020)