2018-2019 MICHELLE (ROGERS) VILLEGAS-GOLD UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP IN PSYCHOLOGY
Dear Arizona Wildcat,
We invite you to apply for the Michelle (Rogers) Villegas Scholarship. This scholarship is made possible by a generous gift from Michelle (Rogers) Villegas-Gold to fund an undergraduate student majoring in Psychology with clear financial need. The award is for $15,000 with the possibility for annual renewal. The student will also receive mentoring by psychology faculty.
The scholarship applicant must:
- Be a full-time undergraduate majoring in Psychology or Psychological Science in their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year. The applicant may be a transfer student, but they must have been accepted to the University of Arizona. Applicants must also attend the main University of Arizona campus.
- Demonstrate financial need or inability to obtain Federal Financial Aid.
- Provide two letters of support with one letter being from a faculty member of the Psychology Department.
- Agree to attend the award dinner to meet with Michelle (Rogers) Villegas-Gold.
- Attend the Psychology Honors Research Forum on April 26 for the presentation of the award.
- Attend an award dinner with the donor and provide a thank-you letter to the donor.
Preferred but not required:
- Preference for first-generation college students.
- Preference for students who demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in gender issues, sexual trauma, or mental health issues.
Renewal of this award is possible if the student maintains a 3.0 cumulative GPA, completes 30 cumulative UA credits each year, and continues to be enrolled in the Psychology or Psychological Science Major. The scholarship is for up to 3 years so a student who has received 3 years of funding will not be funded for a 4th year.
To be eligible, the student cannot be related to a member of the scholarship committee and the student must reside in the specific scholarships region. Scholarships are open to all without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin or other protected categories, in compliance with the University’s Non-Discrimination Policy (http://equity.arizona.edu/policies). The scholarship selection committee adheres to these University policies.
How to apply!
Please submit a printed version of the nomination packet by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 16, 2018, to the Department of Psychology office (Rm 311) to the attention of Dr. Stephen Cowen. Also submit a digital version of the nomination packet to Dr. Cowen’s email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Finalists will be notified within 1 week, and a 30-minute in-person interview with the award committee will be scheduled for the following week.
Any questions can be sent to Dr. Cowen at email@example.com or by calling (520) 626-2615.