The mission of the committee is to foster a positive and inclusive work environment where all individuals – faculty, staff, and students – feel welcomed and respected, and their opinions are valued. Our vision is a College of Science that is inclusive, diverse, and safe, where issues of workplace climate are discussed on a regular basis, and where workplace disputes are dealt with fairly and equitably. To meet these goals, the committee will:
- Address the concerns raised by the 2016 Climate Survey;
- Develop and implement guidelines and tools to help identify and reduce bias and improve communications, based on empirically tested best practices;
- Assist with the implementation of best practices in the college and departments through workshops and discussion groups;
- Ensure that all individuals are aware of their rights and the resources available on campus to mediate workplace disputes;
- Re-administer the climate survey in three years to monitor the College’s progress toward the goal of a positive and inclusive workplace;
Members of the committee do NOT adjudicate individual workplace disputes, or intervene or comment on specific situations that are more appropriately handled by the Department Head, the Dean, Human Resources, or the Office of Institutional Equity. In such cases, individuals will be encouraged to seek advice from the appropriate office.