MA, University of Arizona, Fall 2014
BA (Honors), University of Wisconsin-Madison, Spring 2010
- Sleep - homeostatic regulation, function, insomnia, hypersomnia,
sleep disturbance in psychiatric disorders
- Affect - mood, emotion regulation, stress response
- Contemplative practice - various forms of meditation, yoga, breathing techniques
- Psychophysiology - quantitative EEG and ERP, heart-rate variability, respiration, cardiovascular function
I am a fifth-year Clinical Psychology graduate student in the psychophysiology and sleep laboratories of Dr. John Allen and the late Dr. Richard Bootzin. I received a BA in Psychology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2010, where I then worked as a full-time research specialist before coming to Arizona in 2012, and continue to maintain collaborations. At UW-Madison, I have worked in multiple sleep research laboratories under the directions of Dr. Ruth Benca, Dr. David Plante, and Dr. Giulio Tononi, using high-density EEG to examine sleep and waking electrophysiology in healthy and clinical populations, as well as in the Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience of Dr. Richard Davidson on a project investigating the effects of long-term meditation practice on brain functioning. While at Arizona, I am continuing to explore interests in sleep and contemplative science, aiming to better understand the impact of meditation and yoga on sleep, psychophysiology, cognitive functioning, and well-being
Sleep Research Lab: http://www.sleepresearch.arizona.edu/
Psychophysiology Research Lab: http://jallen.faculty.arizona.edu/psychophysiology_laboratory
- Plante DT, Cook JD, Goldstein MR (in press). Objective Measures of Sleep Duration and Continuity in Major Depressive Disorder with Comorbid Hypersomnolence: A Primary Investigation with Contiguous Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of Sleep Research.
- Newman-Smith K, Werchan D, Goldstein MR, Sweeney L, Bootzin RR, Nadel L, Gomez RL (2016). Sleep and statistical language learning: Insights into cortical development and retention in 6.5-month-olds. Brain and Language.
- Plante DT, Goldstein MR, Cook JD, Smith R, Riedner BA, Rumble ME, Jelenchick L, Tononi G, Benca RM, Peterson MJ (2016). Effects of oral temazepam on slow waves during non-rapid eye movement sleep in healthy young adults: A high-density EEG investigation. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 101, 25-32.
- Plante DT, Goldstein MR, Cook JD, Smith R, Riedner BA, Rumble ME, Jelenchick L, Tononi G, Benca RM, Peterson MJ (2016). Effects of partial sleep deprivation on slow waves during non-rapid eye movement sleep: A high-density EEG investigation. Clinical Neurophysiology, 127 (2), 1436-1444.
- Goldstein MR, Lewis GF, Newman R, Brown J, Bobashev G, Kilpatrick L, Seppala EM, Fishbein D, Meleth S (2016). Improvements in well-being and cardiac vagal tone in young adults following a yogic breathing and life skills workshop: Two open-trial pilot studies. International Journal of Yoga, 9 (1), 20.
- Goldstein MR, Cook JD, Plante DT (2016). The 5α-reductase inhibitor finasteride is not associated with alterations in sleep spindles in men referred for polysomnography. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, 31 (1), 70-74.
- Riedner BA*, Goldstein MR*, Plante DT, Rumble ME, Tononi G, Benca RM (2015). Regional patterns of elevated alpha and high-frequency EEG activity during NREM sleep in chronic insomnia. Sleep, 39(4), 801-812.
- Goldstein MR, Peterson MJ, Sanguinetti JL, Tononi G, Ferrarelli F (2015). Topographic deficits in alpha-range resting EEG activity and steady state visual evoked responses in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research, 168 (1), 145-152.
- Plante DT, Goldstein MR, Cook JD, Smith R, Riedner BA, Rumble ME, Jelenchick L, Tononi G, Benca RM, Peterson MJ (2015). Effects of oral temazepam on spectral activity and sleep spindles during non-rapid eye movement sleep: A high-density EEG investigation. European Neuropsychopharmacology, 25 (10), 1600-1610.
- Seppälä EM, Tudorascu D, Nitschke JB, Hayes A, Goldstein MR, Nguyen D, Perlman D, Davidson RJ (2014). Breathing-based meditation decreases post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms in military veterans: A randomized controlled longitudinal study. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 27(4), 397-405.
- Goldstein MR, Benca RM (2013). Changes in Affect. In: Kushida C, ed. Encyclopedia of Sleep. Oxford: Elsevier.
- Plante DT, Goldstein MR (2013). Medroxyprogesterone acetate is associated with increased sleep spindles during non-rapid eye movement sleep in women referred for polysomnography. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 38(12), 3160-3166.
- Plante DT, Goldstein MR, Landsness EC, Riedner BA, Guokas JJ, Wanger T, Tononi G, Benca RM (2013). Altered overnight modulation of spontaneous waking EEG reflects altered sleep homeostasis in major depressive disorder: A high-density EEG investigation. Journal of Affective Disorders, 150(3), 1167-1173.
- Plante DT, Goldstein MR, Landsness EC, Peterson MJ, Riedner BA, Ferrarelli F, Wanger T, Guokas JJ, Tononi G, Benca RM (2013). Topographic and sex-related differences in sleep spindles in major depressive disorder: A high-density EEG investigation. Journal of Affective Disorders, 146(1), 120-125.
- Plante DT, Landsness EC, Peterson MJ, Goldstein MR, Riedner BA, Wanger TJ, Guokas JJ, Tononi G, Benca RM (2012). Sex-related differences in sleep slow wave activity in major depression using high-density EEG. BMC Psychiatry, 12:146.
- Plante DT, Landsness EC, Peterson MJ, Goldstein MR, Wanger TJ, Guokas JJ, Tononi G, Benca RM (2012). Altered slow wave activity in major depressive disorder with hypersomnolence: a high density EEG pilot study. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, 201(3), 240-244.
- Goldstein MR, Plante DT, Hulse BK, Sarasso S, Landsness EC, Tononi G, Benca RM (2012). Overnight changes in waking auditory evoked potential amplitude reflect altered sleep homeostasis in major depression. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 125(6), 468-477.
- Landsness EC, Ferrarelli F, Sarasso S, Goldstein MR, Riedner BA, Cirelli C, Perfetti B, Moisello C, Ghilardi MF, Tononi G (2011). Electrophysiological traces of visuomotor learning and their renormalization after sleep. Clinical Neurophysiology, 122(12), 2418-2425.
- Landsness EC, Goldstein MR, Peterson MJ, Tononi G, Benca RM (2011). Antidepressant effects of selective slow wave sleep deprivation in major depression. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 45(8), 1019-1026.
- MED-E20, Intro to Mindfulness: Enrichment elective for medical students (Instructor - Spring 2017)
- PSY 478/578, Sleep and Sleep Disorders (Instructor - Spring 2015)
- PSY 478/578, Sleep and Sleep Disorders (Grader - Spring 2014)
- PSY 478/578, Sleep and Sleep Disorders (TA - Spring 2013)
- PSY 101, Introduction to Psychology (TA - Fall 2012)